I am by no means a dessert connoisseur. It's not like I've scoured every square inch of my city to taste-test every sweet treat it has to offer, but I certainly have taste-tested my fair share, and there are definitely some favorites in there.
So, if you're ever in the city and want my recommendations on where to go for some stellar desserts, here's my line-up, in no particular order:
Chocolate Cafe - Just go straight for the salted caramel brownie. Absolute heaven. The Reese's Peanut Butter Chunk cookies are pretty stellar too. And they always drizzle warm milk chocolate on top of both options.
Golden Delight Bakery - Go for their trademark fresh strawberry cake. This is a long-standing family favorite, first discovered at a high school graduation party back in 2002. Most major family occasions have involved this cake. Light. Airy. Fresh. You can't go wrong.
Just Pies - Without a doubt, the best pumpkin pie I've ever had in my life. Also the best apple, dutch apple, strawberry rhubarb, and Buckeye pies I've ever had in my life. They used to have a bakery near where I lived. It was a hazard to my health. They made a variety of sizes, one of which was a small 'baby' pie of sorts, only 5 inches or so in size. So dangerous. They had a sign hanging in the store once that said "Every pie is personal if you just believe in yourself." That pie was, no doubt, personal.
Harvest Bread Co - This technically isn't a dessert, I suppose, but it's sweet enough to qualify as one in my world. And this place also technically isn't native to Columbus, but who cares. Go for the Xtreme Cinnamon Swirl. Your taste buds will thank you.
Katalina's Cafe - Home of the famous pancake balls. I mean, what? Again, technically not a dessert, but again, who cares. Get the pancake balls filled with Nutella. But make sure you eat them all because they do not make great leftovers. (They also used to have these Brown Betty Biscuit Balls, which were amazing, but upon looking at their menu, it appears they don't serve them anymore?! I am mildly distressed over this.)
Whole Foods - Best cupcakes in town. Go for the chocolate peanut butter. (Although, full disclosure, the last time I went, the cupcake I had was terrible. I'm hoping that was a one-off.)
If you're a Columbus native, any other recommendations you'd throw on your own list?
------
If you venture outside the walls of Columbus, I also offer this favorite:
Levain Bakery - I'm not sure there are words. You can practically wring the grease out of these things, but they are oh-so-good. Perfect combo of crispy outside and gooey inside. I first discovered them last summer while on a trip to DC.
No comments:
Post a Comment