I do not consider myself to be someone who has a very eclectic taste in music. I tend to regularly hover somewhere around the country/Christian/Top 40 genres and may on occasion stumble onto something else, but usually accidentally. The most played song in my iTunes is "Confident" by Steffany Gretzinger, probably because I listened to it obsessively through a pretty rough patch of life. Songs ranking second, third, fifth and sixth in line all come from the Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe film score by Harry Gregson-Williams. It really is a fabulous score and worth a listen. (And if you're someone like me who naturally gravitates toward melancholy or sad music such as the Narnia film score, give Susan Cain's book Bittersweet a read. You will understand yourself better and you'll find out you're not as odd - or depressed - as you think.)
My latest mix of music hasn't strayed far from my usual tastes, so if you're looking for some new tunes or new-to-you tunes, check out what I've been listening to lately:
- "My Worth is Not in What I Own" by Keith and Kristyn Getty, featuring Darren Mulligan. A friend shared it with me in her Christmas newsletter and it's been on repeat some days.
- Film score from Persuasion by Stuart Earl. Netflix released a new version of the Jane Austen book Persuasion and it is delightful. I immediately noticed the score. It lasts all of 12 minutes, which is the only downside to it. It's too be beautiful to be so short.
- "In Reverence" by David Tolk. This shows up regularly on my Pandora station and it's a fave. And the fact that the album cover is of the Tetons might help. A perfectly sad, melancholy song that I enjoy so much.
- Pretty much anything by Mitchell Tenpenny. This guy has got some great stuff. See also "Truth About You" and "We Got History."
- Adam Doleac. He's up there with Mitchell. See also "Another" or "Coulda Loved You Longer."
- Jordan Davis. I LOVE HIS MUSIC. There are very few songs on any of his albums that I skip over, which is mark of a great album in my opinion. His next album comes out on February 17 and I am thoroughly looking forward to getting my hands on it. See also "Leaving New Orleans," "Detours," "Midnight Crisis," "Next Thing You Know," and "What My World Spins Around." And pretty much anything else he's got.
- "Whakaaria Mai (How Great Thou Art)" by Teeks and Hollie Smith. This is a lovely, lovely, lovely rendition of "How Great Thou Art." I discovered it while watching a documentary on Netflix.
- John Mark Pantana. Where the heck has this guy been hiding? I was at a church event and this guy's songs kept playing in the background. Very mellow, Jack Johnson vibe and I was immediately hooked. See also "Rooftop" and pretty much anything else of his.
No comments:
Post a Comment