Pages

1.12.2023

Day 12: For the Love of Libraries

I am convinced heaven has a spectacular library. How could it not? With God being a God of words and stories and parables, how is that we would get to heaven and find that all of those things have ceased? He's the author of the Book of Life, for crying out loud. And what is it that John says? "Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written" (John 21:25). Yes, I do believe heaven will have books and I do believe we will spend our days reading and re-reading the stories of old and the stories of our lives and the infinite ways that God showed himself all-powerful and all-knowing across the arc of humanity.

But in the meantime, I have earthly libraries.

If I were to discover that you were not a card-carrying member of your local library, I would probably give you a solid raise of the eyebrow. I have a t-shirt that says "I know my library card number by heart." And I do know my library card number by heart. Two, in fact, as I regularly use two library systems. I don't have my credit card number memorized, but I do have my library card numbers memorized.

Libraries to me are essential institutions in the fabric of society. A place where knowledge is shared freely without restriction or limitation. A place where the young and old gather, regardless of race, gender, ability, social standing or level of income. A place where you discover new places, new ideas, new authors, new stories, new music. A friend of mine grew in Lebanon in the Middle East and we were recently talking about books. He isn't much of a bookworm and he said he grew up in a place where they didn't have libraries, so he naturally didn't have access to books with any sort of ease or regularity. I was reminded in that split-second what a gift it is that I have access to such a wonder. Could we find new places, new ideas, and new stories on the internet? Sure. But to walk into a library, to see shelves overflowing with stories begging to be read, to hold these treasures in our hands? It's brought me to tears a time or two.

I remember when I was in college, the local library in town was being remodeled and was in a temporary building for awhile. When they reopened the new space, I remember walking up the stairs to the second floor, turning the corner, and my eyes immediately got misty. It was so beautiful. When I went out to Jackson Hole on one of my first trips, I stopped by the library out there. Tears there, too. Just the way it was designed and how they incorporated cut trees into the layout. I loved it. I love the library in the Biltmore mansion in Asheville, NC. And the library on Ohio State University's campus. And the library in downtown Columbus. I will forever love the scene in the original Disney animated version of Beauty and the Beast when the Beast shows Belle the castle's library, throwing open the doors on the nearly cavernous library. I know what her wonder feels like.

Libraries are the keepers of the history of the world, of our lives, of our days. Who will hold the weight of all that we are as humanity, if not them? 

Do yourself a favor and get yourself a library card, if you haven't already done so. 

Don't make me raise my eyebrow at you. 

Nearly $1,000 saved last year by using my library card!

1 comment:

Ruth said...

"limited edition 150th birthday library card" <-- this caught my attention & reminded me of this post of your about your love of libraries

See: March 4th https://www.columbuslibrary.org/150-birthday-bash/