Pages

7.02.2012

The Company You Keep

I am swimming in a sea of suitcases, ziploc baggies, piles of clothes, paperwork, unchecked emails, flight confirmations and fears. It's been a long week. After being in Indianapolis for 5 days for Convention and working about 60 hours and then coming home to no power (at home or the office), it's been a disjointed few days, to say the least. But I'm trying to roll with it as best I can. Right now, all I can see past is making sure my Cheez-its fit somewhere in my suitcase without getting smashed to crumbs. Priorities, people, priorities.

I've debated for awhile on what literature to take with me to Kenya. Thirty hours on a flight or in an airport equals a lot of time to read. The last trip included the final installment of Lord of the Rings. I'm thinking Tolkien will be coming along again on this trip. Maybe a new tradition? Maybe some Tozer, maybe some Vanauken, too. I'm not particularly looking forward to this flight, either coming or going. I generally love traveling by myself, but this time around, I actually rather dread it. It's a lot of time alone and some things are just better shared with others. But you know, I did it once, I guess I'll do it again, right?

They say you are known by the company you keep. I'd say Tozer, Tolkien and Vanauken count as pretty good company. Any other company I should consider packing?

1 comment:

Erica said...

Collins?!!?! ;) I agree with people know you by the company you keep, but you've got to take a break from genius and join us regular people for a light read every now and again, right?

Also, KK released Coming Home? Got your name on a waiting list for that one yet? :) I'm really giving Tozer some competition! Ha!