Pages

7.30.2012

Have a Sandwich

I dearly love the movie "You've Got Mail."  I don't know what it is, but I can watch that movie over and over and over again and never get tired of it.  Drives my mother crazy that I do that with movies.  There's one scene in particular that was brought to mind today, though.  If you don't know the movie, Meg Ryan plays a bookstore owner named Kathleen Kelly.  She comes up against Joe Fox (Tom Hanks) who is a rival bookstore owner and he eventually runs her little shop into the ground.  She's heartbroken, but she decides to sell the shop, the only thing she's ever known.  She sits down to have lunch with her now former employees but loyal friends and they chat about her decision to sell.  Birdie is her accountant, a slightly eclectic older woman who has been a mentor to Kathleen.  She attempts to give Kathleen a little pep talk:

"You are daring to imagine that you could have a different life. Oh, I know it doesn't feel like that. You feel like a big fat failure now. But you're not. You are marching into the unknown armed with... [pauses, hands Kathleen a plate of sandwiches] Nothing. Have a sandwich."

That's kinda how I feel.  Daring to imagine a different life.  Marching into the unknown with [next to] nothing. 

Why? 

Because I went out on a limb and quit my job to spend more time in Kenya.  The decision was for a variety of reasons, not confined solely to Kenya.  It was about risk.  It was about "divine discontent."  It was about change.  It was about surrendering.  It was about doors closing and doors opening. It was about God nudging and me shoving back.  It was about a lot of things which cannot be fully contained here.  

It wasn't an easy decision by any stretch of the imagination.  And even now the doubts creep in and I wonder if I've lost my mind all together.  That's so like our enemy, Satan.  Always the accuser and the discourager.  But then I tell myself that people make decisions like this every day, in some way, shape or form.  There's nothing exceptional about what I am doing.  This is simply how I know to live my life.  Fears and failures and all that comes along with taking risks. 

So, when you feel like you're marching into the unknown armed with nothing, just remember - have a sandwich.  And maybe some Cheez-its.

5 comments:

Deb Love said...

Always choose the sandwich with God over the filet mignon with anyone else. Good choice, my sweet friend. I love you!

Alex H. said...

I don't know about sandwiches, but God and I have been known to share a donut or two ;) The donut doesn't do much, but it is his loving reminder that He IS there. He is so sweet!!

Stephanie said...

Hey there - You haven't lost your mind - God is just at work and that is the BEST :):):) Love you and praying for you!

Brenda said...

I love that movie too! I know God is using you. I've found that God-honoring choices may not make sense to the world, but it's His way that matters. Will continue to pray for you on this journey!

Erica said...

As a lover of sandwiches, Kathleen Kelly, and all things Courtney Yantes, this post made me smile numerous times!

AND, my mom, also, finds it crazy that I watch movies (You've Got Mail included) over and over!!!!!! I already knew we shared the movie watching over and over thing, but now we share moms that don't get it, too! :)