Pages

8.26.2010

Just One Request

As I was watching Peter one day, I was amazed at how he took the time to say hello to each one of the children or to sit down with them and ask them how their day is.  There are a lot of other things he could be doing.  He is on the maintenance staff here so gutters need to be cleaned and repaired, roofs need fixed, trim needs painted, and the list goes on.  But Peter sets those things aside so that he can get down on the same level as the kids, look them in the eye, and genuinely care about them.

But you want to know what's really amazing about Peter?

He's an orphan.

Just like the kids that he stoops down to talk to, he has no parents.  And so he takes the time to let each of them know that even if he or she doesn't have parents, they at least have a few minutes with him and they have his undivided attention.

It's stunning to realize in that moment, watching him, here was proof of the sovereignty and grace of God for here is an orphan helping influence the next generation of orphans.  And I imagine there will be a day when these Rafiki orphans will turn and reach out to other orphans.    

There are others here on staff that are likewise orphans, and here they are working at an orphanage, investing in the lives of 91 young Kenyan children who once upon a time had no hope.

You see, Rafiki is committed to making a difference in the lives of orphans, both young and old, in ten different countries scattered throughout the continent of Africa.  They firmly believe in raising these children in their native country, teaching them their native language in addition to English, and equipping them so that they can give back to their own countries.  I think sometimes it's easy for us to think in America that we can just slap a band-aid on something to fix it, or in the case of these children, we may want to just remove them from their country all together, bring them to America, teach them our culture, our ways, and send them to our schools.  There certainly is a time and a place for that, but one of the chief reasons why I gladly stand behind Rafiki's vision is that they do not allow their children to be adopted.  They are not simply removed from the situation.  They are equipped in the midst of it.  Their own countries need them to be godly leaders and students more than America or other countries need them to be godly leaders and students.

But why do I say all that?  Because I want you know that what Rafiki is doing, what God is doing through Rafiki, matters.  It matters a great deal.  It matters to the people who work here, the native Kenyans, the long-term overseas staff, the children, people from the community who come and go from the village.

I'm not the kind of person to ask anyone for help normally.  I get a little too self-sufficient and self-reliant for my own good (I'm working on it).  But in this case, I have one request and in this situation, I'll unashamedly ask:  Help.  Not in a desperate HELP! sort of way, just help.  Schools and cottages need to be built as more and more children are brought into the fold, children need sponsors, volunteers are requested to come and to labor alongside those who are already here.  The villages don't run on air, good intentions, and imaginary labor.  But I want to be sure to say this too - I'm not here to appeal to pity and I'm not here to appeal to guilt.  This isn't about feeling sorry for these children.  God is working here and he has been faithful to carry each of the children to their respective villages and he will be faithful to carry them unto the end.  He can do it without you and he can do it without me.

But why not jump into the fray of it all and get your hands dirty a little bit and find out just how big our God is?

There are several ways to get on board and help out.  One, you can sponsor a child, which entails monthly financial support.  You can obtain more information at Rafiki's Sponsor page or you can call the Home Office at 352.483.9131.  I know for a fact that Lilian (pictured left with Clint trying to make her smile by pulling her cheeks back), who is just three years old and just arrived here in the village a couple of months ago does not have a sponsor.  You could help be the first.

Two, you can come.  Come to Africa.  Doesn't matter if it's Kenya or another Rafiki village in Africa.  Just come.  Have construction skills and knowledge?  Come build a new school for them.  Come build some new cottages.  Want to teach little ones on up to high-school aged students?  Come teach for awhile.  Come love on some kids, even if for a couple of weeks.  You can obtain more information about the short-term trips here.    For other ways to give, you can go here and see a complete list.

It doesn't matter how big or small - could be $10 or $10,000.  Could be 2 weeks here or two months here.  Could be 1 child sponsored or 10 children sponsored.  Could be 1 square foot of space provided for, could be 100 square feet.  Whatever it is, whatever prayers offered, it matters.          

Join Peter in raising up the next generation of godly leaders, not because they are orphans, but because they are humans, God's children, and we are responsible to them simply because of that very fact. 


No comments: