So tonight at dinner, I totally thought this kid was being a champ by hiding his food in his milk cup. They served this stuff called oo-gall-ee (I have no idea how it's actually spelled), which basically amounts to this weird flour/mashed potato like consistency, but packed hard, with zero flavor. I was watching him out of the corner my eye and I saw him take a few spoonfuls, look around, and then dump it in his milk cup. I thought, "You are my hero because that is totally what I want to do right now." So I tried to discreetly keep watching him and every once and awhile he would add more. I was super excited that the kid had the nerve to get away with it because they are instructed to eat every last bite, but here was somebody getting away with not doing it! But then my happiness in watching this unfold was crushed when I watched him dump it back onto his plate and finish eating it all. Maybe that will be my tactic for the next time I go to dinner and either can't eat it all or don't want to eat it.
"There's a trick to the graceful exit...We own what we learned back there. The experiences and the growth are grafted onto our lives. And when we exit, we can take ourselves along — quite gracefully."
8.02.2010
The Secrets of Children
I'll interrupt this broadcast for a brief story:
So tonight at dinner, I totally thought this kid was being a champ by hiding his food in his milk cup. They served this stuff called oo-gall-ee (I have no idea how it's actually spelled), which basically amounts to this weird flour/mashed potato like consistency, but packed hard, with zero flavor. I was watching him out of the corner my eye and I saw him take a few spoonfuls, look around, and then dump it in his milk cup. I thought, "You are my hero because that is totally what I want to do right now." So I tried to discreetly keep watching him and every once and awhile he would add more. I was super excited that the kid had the nerve to get away with it because they are instructed to eat every last bite, but here was somebody getting away with not doing it! But then my happiness in watching this unfold was crushed when I watched him dump it back onto his plate and finish eating it all. Maybe that will be my tactic for the next time I go to dinner and either can't eat it all or don't want to eat it.
So tonight at dinner, I totally thought this kid was being a champ by hiding his food in his milk cup. They served this stuff called oo-gall-ee (I have no idea how it's actually spelled), which basically amounts to this weird flour/mashed potato like consistency, but packed hard, with zero flavor. I was watching him out of the corner my eye and I saw him take a few spoonfuls, look around, and then dump it in his milk cup. I thought, "You are my hero because that is totally what I want to do right now." So I tried to discreetly keep watching him and every once and awhile he would add more. I was super excited that the kid had the nerve to get away with it because they are instructed to eat every last bite, but here was somebody getting away with not doing it! But then my happiness in watching this unfold was crushed when I watched him dump it back onto his plate and finish eating it all. Maybe that will be my tactic for the next time I go to dinner and either can't eat it all or don't want to eat it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment