"Yes, I'm just concentrating really hard on keeping my lunch down."
Okay, so maybe that wasn't really my answer - I simply lied and said I'm fine. But I sure was thinking that. I haven't been beyond the four walls of the village since I arrived last Saturday, and so the village director, Yeen-Lan, asked I go with her to the market, which was just a few miles up the road. I thought those few miles were going to kill me though. The roads are atrocious in Nairobi, with potholes big enough to swallow a car it seems. I barely made it past the gate and I could already tell I this was not going to end well. Me, bumpy roads, and in a car equals a bad combination. It was too late for Dramamine at this point. After crossing several goat crossings and wondering how anybody drives in this country, we made it to the market. Yeen-Lan was kind enough to let me sit in the front seat on the way back, which made it mildly better. But by the time we made it back to the village, I just had to lay down for awhile and hope the room stopped spinning at some point.
But you can bet I didn't leave that store without first grabbing a Snickers, a bag of chips, chocolate muffins, and chocolate cookies. Hey, something has got to redeem the ridiculous amount of beans I've been eating. I think I've eaten more beans in the last 5 days than I have ever eaten in my entire life or will ever eat. I'd rather eat rice for every meal than eat beans at any point. While the African food has been an experience, and not all together a bad one, it doesn't change the fact that I have wanted pizza, mashed potatoes, and steak more than ever. Take note, family - one of those items will be on the menu as soon as I get in the door.
Apart from all of the adventures in food, I'm really wishing that the gecko that was in my shower and is now in my closet would go away and find a new home. I don't particularly want to put clothes on one morning and find him there.
1 comment:
Would you mind if we did pizza, steak and mashed taters all at the same meal upon your return? I could go for it. Love you
Post a Comment