"There's a trick to the graceful exit...We own what we learned back there. The experiences and the growth are grafted onto our lives. And when we exit, we can take ourselves along — quite gracefully."
I probably would have come seriously close to dropping out of college if not for Kristina. We were each other's form of sanity during my freshman year, her senior year. We were suitemates, sorority sisters, sisters in Christ, and eventually Big Sis/Lil Sis. How we met started sometime before I even set foot on the campus of William Woods. When I first started looking at WWU, I wanted to talk to some current students. So I hopped online and I randomly happened to find her profile. We began chatting and kept in touch off-and-on over a year or two as I began to get closer and closer to high school graduation and my freshman year of college. I arrived on campus, met her during recruitment, and the rest is history. We have both bounced all over the world for quite a few years now, whether for school, jobs, or missions. We've managed to stay in touch, even though sometimes we may go for months at a time and not talk simply because of schedules and life.
I have watched Kristina and countless other women in Delta Gamma live by the open motto of Delta Gamma, which is "do good." It's the words we are called to live by within the organization. Whatever you do, do good. I have watched them live by a higher standard and live according to higher expectations. In one of the recent editions of Delta Gamma's magazine, ANCHORA, Kristina and others were featured in a story called "Helping Haiti." It followed the lives of several DGs who had volunteered their time and service in the wake of Haiti's devastation.
So I figured it would be appropriate to show a photo of one Lil Sis helping Africa with one Big Sis helping Haiti. I brought that edition of the magazine with Kristina's photo and story with me to Africa with the intent to take this photo. She is, in fact, down in Haiti right now continuing to work amidst the ruin and you can follow her blog here.
Hopefully we'll each continue to do good, wherever we end up.
No comments:
Post a Comment