Pages

4.14.2024

'Twas (Almost) the Night Before Surgery

It's going to be essential I not lose my sense of humor through this rat's nest called cancer and life. I mean, I'm over here texting with a lady from my church about whether I'd be willing to wear a Gandalf wig or a hat shaped like a sloth to hide my soon-to-be-bald head. 

I suppose if you're going down (even if temporarily), you might as well do it with some flair. 

Enter ChatGPT, the wonder that is generative artificial intelligence. It only makes sense in my case, right? If you're a living, breathing human being with a brain tumor, why not recruit the assistance of a non-living, wicked smart artificial brain?

I've used ChatGPT on a few occasions for work, to help brainstorm some marketing ideas or synthesize data. It really is a jaw-dropping wonder to watch in action. Oh, for sure, there are all sorts of dark and scary to the whole idea of AI, but for the basic things I'm doing, it is hilariously helpful at times (also wildly inaccurate other times).

So, as I stare down the prospect of brain surgery in less than 48 hours, I thought I'd put ChatGPT to work for me, to add a little levity before the storm and provide free distracting entertainment.

I gave it the following simple prompt and nothing more. (And for those who are new to the scene, I nicknamed my tumor Flash early on, as a nod to the fact that it grew so terribly slow and in honor of the sloth from Zootopia):

Write a humorous poem about a girl named Courtney with a brain tumor nicknamed Flash being surgically removed.

Seconds later, this was the result:

In a town where giggles and glee were rife,
Lived a lass named Courtney, full of life.
But tucked within her, causing quite a fuss,
Was Flash, a tumor, mischievous and thus.

Flash played its pranks in Courtney's merry mind,
Turning thoughts topsy-turvy, leaving chaos behind.
But Courtney, undeterred, with a twinkle in her eyes,
Declared, "It's time, Flash, for your grand goodbyes!"

Off to the hospital, with courage so bold,
Courtney marched, her spirit unsold.
Surgeons assembled, with tools sharp and keen,
To evict Flash from its mischievous scene.

But Flash, oh Flash, was quite the trickster,
Ducking and dodging, a wily fixer.
Round and round, it led them astray,
A surgical ballet, an unconventional play.

Yet Courtney's resolve was steadfast and true,
With humor and pluck, she bid Flash adieu.
Snip! Snip! Snip! Went the surgeon's endeavor,
Till Flash's antics were foiled forever.

With a wink and a grin, Courtney awoke anew,
No more Flash antics, her skies now blue.
For in life's grand theater, with its twists and its turns,
Courtney emerged victorious, her spirit brightly burns.

So here's to Courtney, our hero so bright,
Who faced down Flash with all her might.
And to all who face challenges, big or small,
With laughter and courage, we conquer them all!

I don't know about the "courage so bold" or the "hero so bright" part, but it is, indeed, time for Flash's "grand goodbyes"!

___________________

Functional updates

I'll try to carve out space in each post to provide updates on where I am in the process. So, if you're just here for the nuts and bolts, in the future you can slide straight here to the bottom and skip my idle wanderings above.

Well, it's almost go-time. Final imaging and pre-op appointment with the neurosurgeon tomorrow. I'll also get the official time for the surgery by tomorrow afternoon. I'll probably post one more time tomorrow evening, but then beyond that, I make no promises as to when I (or my brother, who is my back-up) will post again.

As mentioned previously, I humbly request of anyone local: please don't come to the hospital expecting to visit or see me. Priority one will be my recovery and that's hard enough to do when there is a constant stream of medical providers, let alone a constant stream of visitors. I'm going to need all the rest I can get, both in the hospital and once I first get home, but give me some time and I'll eventually surface. 

I continue to be overwhelmed by the people reaching out, saying they are praying for me. Words will never express how grateful I am, so I won't even try. 💕

_________________

Reminder
If you haven't yet but would like to receive email notifications of when I post, you can sign up via this link.
_________________

Want to leave a comment? 
If you select "Anonymous" and if you're comfortable, would you mind including at least your first name and last initial directly in the body of your comment? That way I know who is commenting!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my word! Chat GPT nailed it! I’m impressed.
Many prayers for you, and your family too. Only “two more dark naps” as my grands say, until Flash bites the dust! Love and hugs.
Lori M

Anonymous said...

God has AUTHORITY over ALL things! You hear that Flash?! You're not welcome here! See ya, bye bye now--in Jesus' name Amen! Love you Court!
P. Willows

Anonymous said...

That's a pretty amazing poem! We and our families, Bible study, and friends are praying. Love you, Court! Kristin W.

Anonymous said...

This is Kay from summer Bible study. Praying without ceasing. Will see you this summer perhaps with wig, but definitely without Flash! Much love.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you - but also thankful that Flash is on his last leg…. Or brain cell…. So to speak.

Sending many prayers.
Jess F

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and family! Praying for surgeons steady hands and positive results.🙏🙏🙏❤️kr

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you lots ... no other words. May you feel the peace that passes all understanding through this.
Emily E.

Anonymous said...

Your cousin Jo H and our Bible/ Fellowship Group are praying for your miracle of healing. May ‘Flash’ disappear thoroughly and your recovery be fully complete, replaced by ‘Testimony’ ! I hear she is lovely! Melanie M

Anonymous said...

Our family is keeping you in our prayers! We had PC Friday night and I have your picture hung on the wall and we prayed over you. The younger kids come this Friday night and they will do the same. You are loved and cared for here at the ranch! You can get through this cowgirl!
Jesus is walking with you!
Hugs,
Janet

Anonymous said...

I’m in awe of your courage and sense of humor. I knew a girl once like that, who fought cancer inside and out and lived her life to her fullest. God bless you and your family. Sending prayers and love your way💜P.S. That lovely girl was my daughter Jenna

Anonymous said...

Wow! That poem is on point and even captures some of who you are, but of course the most important piece is “whose” you are, and that’s “who” is in you and carrying you through this whole thing. An old song that keeps popping into my memory sung by Kathy Troccoli is “My Life is in Your Hands”. (You may want to check it out). My prayer today is this: that Christ complete the good work he started in you and that there will be a day we will look back and marvel at the grace and power of Him who loves us and remember Flash as just one small part of your life story with Jesus in the leading role. I love you, Girl! Deb

Anonymous said...

I'm not a hugger but, I wish I could hug you now. A virtual hug will have to do. My devotional verses today, Psalm 62:7 - On God rests my salvation and my glory, my mighty rock, my refuge is God. My virtual hug to you. This verse was exactly what I needed today (and every day) and I couldn't help but look ahead to tomorrow's verse; Exodus 14:14 - "The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.", I think that is quite fitting for Flash's exit. I love you. - Cheri M

Anonymous said...

We loved the poem! And, we loved the Yellowstone post card you sent. Be assured we are praying for you and your surgeon as you have surgery tomorrow. The Great Physician is in control! We love you. Don and Pat C.

Julie Sholl said...

Courtney, you are a beautiful writer and a beautiful person! I have been praying for you and will continue to do so. That poem from AI was absolutely amazing!! It's so nice to hear that you have a sense of humor about all of this , as laughter is the best medicine, and are continuing to trust God throughout. I'm so inspired by the way you're handling things and I really appreciate you being open and honest and willing to share your thoughts and feelings throughout.

Pam Meszaros said...

So grateful that you allowed AI to produce a humorous account of brain surgery, Courtney. Continued prayers for your and your family. Thanks for letting us take this journey with you. Love your writing and so thankful to have reconnected.

Love, blessings, and prayers,

Pam