It's proving very difficult to not drown in grief and discouragement, to lift my gaze above all that used to be and now isn't. (My apologies to all you optimists out there, but my writing in the coming months will probably be all sorts of heavy and hard, possibly depressing, because that's my freaking life right now and I don't know how to get around that. I won't be offended if you opt out). Since getting home from the hospital on Monday, I keep experiencing what I call mini episodes, not full-on seizures, but my left arm will start tingling and go numb, then I'll lose motor control to the point I can't move individual fingers. My arm just goes limp. It usually lasts less than an hour and then I can move things again. It sucks, to put it mildly. All of everything sucks right now. I put a call into my neuro oncologist to discuss the symptoms and he ordered a blood draw to assess my anti-seizure medication dosage. I have a follow-up appointment Monday morning.
While not foolproof, what does seem to help mentally when the walls start closing in is listening to music. Like King Saul of old, the madness within is soothed only by music. I'm listening to a lot of Phil Wickham lately. I need the reminders of truth that these songs carry. Otherwise, I get swept away in the vortex of my own despair.
Most moments, it's really hard to believe for the day when the hall of a thousand griefs will get shattered and I'll no longer be confronted by reflections that bear so much pain.
So, in the meantime, I will need you all to be mirrors that reflect the truth of God's character and the hope of a better day.
PS: This post is so short because I am hell-bent on typing with two hands, which I did for the most part, but it took me nearly an hour.
10 comments:
Courtney!! You’re writing already! You prepared us for a much longer wait for your next post. You’re amazing!
And yes, there is a LOT to grieve. 😢 It’s ok. 💜💜
Lori
Yes music is a beautiful gift God gave us to express and feel emotions and in the case of hymns and worship music to lift our souls and remind us with God we will not live in perpetual darkness because God is our Light. 🌅
Also a gift is Spirit himself interceding for us through wordless groans.
Praying 2 Cor 12:9 for you. -Ruth
I am praying for you every day. God can provide strength when you are walking through a very difficult road and give you hope and joy. He will provide some sunshine and maybe a bluebird to remind you he is still on the throne. Just rest and let your body heal. It’s miraculous that you are able to verbalize your feelings so well!!!!
Thank you for allowing us to be voyeurs … and prayer warriors on your behalf… on this journey upon which you have embarked. You are amazing in your honesty and wit, as you journal so beautifully of this miracle, with your unwavering love for God & life.
Prayers continue lovely child of God.
Melanie M
Dear Courtney,
We ladies in Bible study continue to pray for you. Discouragement is very real. 🙏 Phil Wickham is my favorite artist! Keep listening to beautiful music such as his that will lift you up. 🎶 ✝️. I pray that one by one those mirrors will begin to disappear. You are loved by so many. 🩷🙏
Courtney, I am praising God that your thinking process is so strong and you can courageously type your eloquent messages with 2 hands. My entry would have just been “All of everything sucks right now”.
Prayers lifted that your grief and discouragement will gradually fade and your light will continue to shine. Your prayer warriors lift you up continuously.
Cuz Jo
Courtney:
We are in Vancouver waiting to board the ship to Alaska. I am excited to see the beauty you have seen and loved (although it appears we are visiting at the wrong time of the year to see the Northern Lights). My devotional this morning reminded me that “Faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see”. Your faith has truly inspired me on different occasions especially upon receiving the news about "Flash". Sending earnest prayers that the Lord will see you through this time of discouragement and hold you especially close in the comfort of His arms.
Blessings,
Pam
Saw you yesterday and you looked amazing. I was impressed with your ability to get in and out of your chair. Remember we only have a promise of today. Each morning we give thanks for the blessing of this day. You have been blessed with doctors and surgeons who were used to give you a chance to bless all of us with the miracle we see in you.
Aubrey
My favorite part of this post was when you wrote that you were hell bent on typing with two hands. I say grab on to that determination in everything. Love you.
-Cheri M
Courtney you are beautiful inside and out. Still praying. You are strong even when you don’t feel it. God is right beside you! Love you girl! Aunt Ava
Post a Comment