Going a little farther, [Jesus] fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will” (Matthew 26:39, NIV).
I'm all for the first part of that plea - please let this cup called cancer pass me by, I beg of you. However, you know that I am but flesh, made of dust (Psalm 103:14), and I'm still very much living in the pause between the supplication - "May this cup be taken from me" - and the submission - "Yet not as I will, but as you will." Give me the courage necessary to close the gap between the two. For reasons I may never understand this side of heaven, you have not allowed this cup to pass me by, just as you did not allow the cross to pass your own Son by because in your wisdom you knew it was vital to his mission and your purpose for him on Planet Earth, you must believe that cancer has a vital role to play in my mission and your purpose for me here on this broken planet. Give me eyes to see that mission and purpose. Help me to close the gap between the supplication and the submission so that one day, I can confidently say "Your will be done" and mean it. Amen.

4 comments:
Wow and amen! Thank you for making this a Jesus story and not a cancer story. He is already using you for His glory, even in the midst of your suffering. Genesis 41:52. Laura
Courtney, you are certainly thinking well and Biblically. A sneak peek from my experience (not with cancer) says you will touch more lives than you ever dreamed possible because you suffered and shared and therefore are believable!! Praying for you and your parents. Margaret
Continued prayers are lifted up for you sweet friend. Jesus is your story, and He is working on your behalf in the midst of deep suffering. God is good and we can stand on that even when the ground beneath our feet feels a river. May His light, love and strength continue to shine through you with His blessed assurance. Much love, Chris
JOHN 14:18 "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you."
PROVERBS 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.
PSALM 36:5 Your unfailing love, O Lord, is as vast as the heavens; your faithfulness reaches beyond the clouds.
These verses were in my devotionals the past few days and they spoke directly to my current situation. Reading your statement of "being in the pause" brought them to my heart anew. God is in the "pause" with us. We are mortal, we are weak, we are worn, and we are loved; He won't leave us or forsake us. He is our strength and our hope. I love you my friend!
-Cheri M
Post a Comment