I was raised to believe that you maybe pay a little bit more to buy a quality product, and then take really good care of it so that it lasts forever.
I take that approach to heart.
As evidenced by my laptop. Which will turn 13 years old this summer. Still working like a champ. I mean, I may not always be able to connect to modern Wi-Fi, but minor detail.
Let's also not forget the shoes I wear to the gym, which will turn 11 this year. My feet are living the dream.
I have another pair of black, semi-dressy slip-on shoes that will turn 10, shoes which I have super-glued back together more times than are necessary. But these are probably my very favorite shoes. They have been with me to every country I have ever visited, having bought them just before I went to Russia in 2006. And I have never, ever found another pair like them. I will go into mourning and wear black for a year when they finally kick the bucket. But until then, I am holding onto them for dear life, with obvious super glue patches and all.
There's the faded red t-shirt I have had since I was a child (sadly or not sadly, I can still fit in it comfortably). It has a giant horseshoe on it with a draft horse walking through the center. I remember going to draft horse pulls a lot as a kid, which is where I think I acquired it. It's so soft, so comfy, worn-in just so. So, on the conservative side, maybe a good 20 years old?
And then there is my smartphone.
Which will be 4-years old this May.
For those of you who like to have the latest and greatest technology, your palms probably just broke out in a sweat and you felt anxiety settle in on my behalf.
Don't worry, the feeling will fade.
I have a love/hate relationship with my phone. I went kicking and screaming when I had to upgrade to this phone, so reluctant to join the rest of the world and their smartphone madness. I was very partial to my basic, slide-keyboard phone, that was working just fine, thank you very much. But I was getting ready to head back to Kenya at the time, and for a variety of reasons, it really did make sense for me to get something that was a little more useful overseas than my little Samsung Rogue.
I switched over to my current smartphone before I went to Kenya back in 2012, but I kept my Rogue on hand. After I got back, I switched back to my Rogue, probably out of stubbornness because I didn't want to pay the data fee that was now attached to my newly-acquired smartphone.
I have noticed, however, in recent months that a vast majority of apps no longer work on my phone. My bank app quit working because it said it was no longer compatible with my phone. I uninstalled a couple of apps where I listened to sermons and podcasts because my whole phone would crash when I tried to open them. Alas, the old gray mare ain't what she used to be.
Let's take the ESPN app, for example.
It still loads on my phone and I can still get current scores. But none of the headlines are current.
The headline now reads "Warriors Hold Off Clips", with a picture of Blake Griffin.
Which happened roughly 367 days ago.
That apparently is the last time my ESPN app experienced an update. And when I try to get the latest version from the app store, I get that oh-so-frequent error, "This is not compatible with your phone."
But I'm not complaining.
So long as I can text and make calls, my little phone and I will continue on our merry way.
Because who cares if ESPN doesn't load right when you've got Sports Illustrated, right?!
I take that approach to heart.
As evidenced by my laptop. Which will turn 13 years old this summer. Still working like a champ. I mean, I may not always be able to connect to modern Wi-Fi, but minor detail.
Let's also not forget the shoes I wear to the gym, which will turn 11 this year. My feet are living the dream.
I have another pair of black, semi-dressy slip-on shoes that will turn 10, shoes which I have super-glued back together more times than are necessary. But these are probably my very favorite shoes. They have been with me to every country I have ever visited, having bought them just before I went to Russia in 2006. And I have never, ever found another pair like them. I will go into mourning and wear black for a year when they finally kick the bucket. But until then, I am holding onto them for dear life, with obvious super glue patches and all.
There's the faded red t-shirt I have had since I was a child (sadly or not sadly, I can still fit in it comfortably). It has a giant horseshoe on it with a draft horse walking through the center. I remember going to draft horse pulls a lot as a kid, which is where I think I acquired it. It's so soft, so comfy, worn-in just so. So, on the conservative side, maybe a good 20 years old?
And then there is my smartphone.
Which will be 4-years old this May.
For those of you who like to have the latest and greatest technology, your palms probably just broke out in a sweat and you felt anxiety settle in on my behalf.
Don't worry, the feeling will fade.
I have a love/hate relationship with my phone. I went kicking and screaming when I had to upgrade to this phone, so reluctant to join the rest of the world and their smartphone madness. I was very partial to my basic, slide-keyboard phone, that was working just fine, thank you very much. But I was getting ready to head back to Kenya at the time, and for a variety of reasons, it really did make sense for me to get something that was a little more useful overseas than my little Samsung Rogue.
I switched over to my current smartphone before I went to Kenya back in 2012, but I kept my Rogue on hand. After I got back, I switched back to my Rogue, probably out of stubbornness because I didn't want to pay the data fee that was now attached to my newly-acquired smartphone.
I have noticed, however, in recent months that a vast majority of apps no longer work on my phone. My bank app quit working because it said it was no longer compatible with my phone. I uninstalled a couple of apps where I listened to sermons and podcasts because my whole phone would crash when I tried to open them. Alas, the old gray mare ain't what she used to be. Let's take the ESPN app, for example.
It still loads on my phone and I can still get current scores. But none of the headlines are current.
The headline now reads "Warriors Hold Off Clips", with a picture of Blake Griffin.
Which happened roughly 367 days ago.
That apparently is the last time my ESPN app experienced an update. And when I try to get the latest version from the app store, I get that oh-so-frequent error, "This is not compatible with your phone."
But I'm not complaining.
So long as I can text and make calls, my little phone and I will continue on our merry way.
Because who cares if ESPN doesn't load right when you've got Sports Illustrated, right?!
No comments:
Post a Comment