Pages

4.09.2016

The Power of a Simple Thank You Note

I love a good handwritten note, whether it's of the love letter variety, a thank you note, or just a note to say hello. Maybe it's the nostalgic side of me, wishing we still lived in a world that was a little less technology-driven.  And maybe I just appreciate the discipline of a handwritten note - it takes extra time and requires far more intentionality than just zipping off a text message, email, or a quick post to Facebook.  When you get a handwritten note in the mail, you feel a little more loved and valued (or at least I do) because you know that the person on the other side of the pen and the postage went out of their way to gather up a card, draft their words, sign with a flourish and then get the card in the mailbox.  

I do my best to send handwritten notes to friends and family on occasion, maybe just a note to say hello, or a note to encourage.  Last week I decided to go on a thank you note writing binge, though, and send thank you notes to the people in my life that I maybe interact with semi-regularly, but they aren't the people I generally think to stop and thank.  The staff at the public library, which some days I feel like is my second home.  My pastor and his wife. The church secretary.  The nursery coordinator at church.  The owner of Just Pies.  The staff at Bibibop, one of my favorite restaurants.  They were all an assortment of people that I am very grateful for, and I thought they should know.

So, off I went to write my notes.  I dropped them in the mail and didn't give them another thought.  I just liked the satisfaction of knowing that I could offer a few words of encouragement to people who probably don't get thanked very often.

I marched off to my mailbox the other day, keeping my expectations low, because let's be honest - the only mail I get anymore that is remotely exciting is Sports Illustrated.  And I actually think my free subscription expired so my mail just got infinitely more depressing.  But as I rummaged through the whole two pieces of mail I got on this particular day, I noticed a card with a handwritten address.  It was from Bibibop.  I ripped it open and inside was a note from the general manager of the location I had specifically written to.  And it also included three cards for free meals at Bibibop.  Say whaaaaat?!  I was not expecting anything in return, but I got super giddy at the fact that the manager had likewise gone out of her way to write back to me.  And bonus - I had planned on going to Bibibop that night for dinner anyway, so it was perfect timing.  The whole thing just made my day.  

So, do yourself a favor.  Think of a few people or businesses that you cross paths with and send them a handwritten thank you note.  Don't do it because you expect anything in return.  Do it simply because sometimes people just need to hear the words thank you.               

No comments: