Sometimes you need some reminders that life is funny. And sometimes you need to be inspired. And sometimes you just need to remember.
I keep a notebook for that.

I started it several years ago and it is now one of my favorite things I own. It started out as a means to consolidate all of these scraps of magazines and newspapers I had lying (laying? I still never remember which to use) around my dorm room and eventual apartment. It's this hodge-podge of things that have captured my imagination or attention over the years. Some of the clippings make me laugh - I pull those out when I need to do just that. Some of the clippings remind me of significant historical moments, ones I don't want to forget. Some clippings are just creative and clever ideas I have saved for my some-day house, things to lock away for future use. Most items are just headlines cut out of magazines, or photographs I find compelling. On the front cover I put a quote that I snagged from a magazine, which said, "I surround myself with things I love, anything that inspires me." It's my collection of things I love and things that inspire me.

There's the one that makes me laugh every time without fail, the one on the left here. It's a picture of a little black pug and the caption reads, "I enjoy licking faces. And toilets." Another page has a clipping from Sports Illustrated, when they interviewed Olympic hurdler, Jana Rawlinson, on why she she had her breast implants removed. She said, "I absolutely loved having bigger boobs, but I don't want to shortchange Australia either." I mean, come on. That's funny.
Then I've got newspaper clippings, ones about the 2008 election and how Sarah Palin obliterated the "feminist template," how the "Buckeyes unite their faithful like no other team," and 'Do ladies love country boys? Not if they're undereducated." Those things that inspire, make me ask questions.

Then there's the "stay baseball" ad. I don't even like baseball, but I like this ad. It says, "Stay baseball. Stay our favorite pastime. Stay the best part of a lazy summer day, or a tense October night. Stay the bonding experience of choice for dads and kids across the country. Stay obsessively statistical. And incredibly poetic. Stay baseball." I can appreciate it for what it's ultimately saying even if I can't say much for the game itself. I also sometimes pull out entire spreads of magazines, the photographs that capture a brief moment in time. The one on the right is when Zenyatta won the Breeders' Cup Classic in 2009. I felt like it was such a quinessential moment, with Mike Smith opening his arms up to the heavens, photographers waiting to capture the emotion.
I like pulling out my notebook when I need a good laugh, when I'm feeling nostalgic and need to remember. Tonight was one of those nights, no particular reason - and it just felt good to laugh. And then I'm left to wonder why I'm silly enough to save clippings that say things like "I just want to be me. Without the hot flashes." ;)
2 comments:
1 of a kazillion reasons I love you, my notebooking friend.
Em
I love this. Such a great idea.
Post a Comment