Pages

6.09.2009

Sad the stories had to end...

So I just got done reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy and I'm wondering why in the world I didn't read these books sooner. Tolkien is a brilliant writer and gifted storyteller. That's not a news flash or anything, as people have known that for decades, but there is always something greatly satisfying when you find out for yourself why some authors are such geniuses. I think I zoomed through all 1200 pages in about two weeks or so - and considering I've got two jobs and going to classes two nights a week, I think that's decent timing.

As I was reading, I think I was just so utterly captivated by the vast creativity and imagination of Tolkien. His characters are so uniquely defined in the book - but always honest and real. He captures the little idiosyncrasies about each without explicitly saying what the character is about. Tolkien is a show, don't tell kind of author. He crafts the story in such a way that allows the reader to get lost in what is happening, the struggle in good and evil, the importance of relationships, and the ultimate victories to be shared.

I think my favorite character is Sam - both in the movies and I came to love him even more in the books. His fierce loyalty and his ever watchful eye over his "master" were endearing, something that I wish were modeled more often in the lives of real men. He's quite possibly one of the most unselfish characters in literature (not that I've read every book known to mankind to say without a doubt that he is, but I would imagine that he's got to be at the top of the lists of unselfish characters in the history of storytelling). He was always putting the needs of Frodo above his own, always seeing that Frodo was able to eat, rest, and complete the journey set before him. I loved his line at the end (I know it's in the movie and I'm pretty sure it's in the book), "I can't carry the ring for you, but I can carry you!" What a fighter - compassionate and strong, ever focused on what is ultimately at stake.

Aragorn is another character that I love - maybe just because of his portayal of what I think masculinity ought to be on some level. He's a man's man. I think in some ways he reminds me of King David in the Bible - that tender warrior, a man not afraid to fight for his land and people and what he believes in, but also gentle and tender in his dealings with those around him. He leads with the integrity of his heart and isn't afraid to make some unpopular decisions. He's a character that can be easily respected.

And despite my decision not to watch TV and movies for the summer, I did decide to watch the movies after reading the books. The movies are some of my favorite movies ever and I didn't want to wait until August to watch them all. So I dug the TV out of the closet and set up shop. Parts of my DVDs are messed up so I had to skip entire sections of the trilogy, but after I got done watching them all, I think my affection for the story deepened even more. It's just so stinkin' brilliant! And Peter Jackson - what a marvelous job of giving life to a story that was already leaping off the pages. He certainly did the books justice in my opinion.

No comments: