Pages

8.08.2009

Summer Recap

Okay, finally a recap on the summer. I know, it's taken me awhile. The summer has flown by as usual and I think I still have these fleeting moments of shock when I realize that I've already completed one year of my grad program and have only one year left. I remember thinking a year ago, "Holy cow - two years? That seems like an eternity." And at the time, it really did feel like that. When you think about the fact that I had already spent four years away from my family and my home, another two just felt like such a long time.

Despite the time flying, I have thoroughly enjoyed checking out from the world a little this summer. After not having a TV or getting on Facebook and occasionally leaving my cellphone behind, those things don't hold much appeal anymore. When I sit down and watch TV or get on Facebook, I get this anxious feeling. I'm not quite sure how to explain other than I just feel this need to get it over with as soon as possible. There just isn't much of a "want to" anymore when it comes to those things. I find now that I want to spend my time reading or being creative in some manner. I mean, I breezed my way through nearly 30 books this summer - yes, you read right. Thirty books. And I loved it. I loved coming home in the evenings, grabbing a good book and settling in for the night. My reading selection expanded quite a bit this summer, too, as I deviated from the genres I normally read.

I stumbled across this fabulous book called "The Only Road North" by Erik Mirandette. If you can get your hands on it, do it. I also snagged the book "Shoeless Joe" by Bill Kinsella, which the movie "Field of Dreams" is based upon. Marvelous book. I mean, the movie is good, but there is something all together magical about that book. I also read "The Lost City of Z," which is great book about adventure and exploring - good for the history too. There are just so many amazing books out there. I love finding these little gems of stories and getting so completely lost in them. A friend of mine had this quote on his blog the other day and I think it is so true: "Perhaps there is some secret sort of homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers." It's from the book "Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society." I'd like to think that quote is true on some level. Or maybe the homing instinct is in me and it's the book that is perfect.

Other than the ridiculous amounts of reading I did, I also made some more progress on my plans for Africa. One of my best friends and I are flying down to Florida in October to go to Rafiki's headquarters for a weekend of training. I happened to meet up with the couple who is on full-time staff in Zambia that my church supports. Listening to their stories - I nearly wanted to cry my eyes out the entire way through their presentation. Not because it was particularly sad, but because I kept thinking to myself, "How is this possible? How is possible to so completely long for a country I've never been to, a people I've never met, and a continent that I've only known to exist on a map?" A big part of me just wants to get on a plane and go NOW. Next summer just seems so far away, but even as this past year has flown by, I know this coming year will likewise. And between now and then, I'll keep dreaming of Africa and its people.

I have more thoughts on the summer - stay tuned for more....

No comments: