Mondays are usually my nights to hit the gym with my personal trainer and then come home and catch up on all the things I've been procrastinating on. Tuesday nights are for the gym and then writing a Bible study I've been working on, or maybe going to the library to catch up on emails. (I have no internet at my apartment so I have to retreat elsewhere when I need to respond at length to people.) Wednesday nights are set aside for another round at the gym and maybe catching up on phone calls, writing notes to friends, watching a movie, maybe seeing my parents for dinner. (Don't be impressed by my efforts to make it into the gym often. I am a reluctant member at times. I'm only compelled to go because I vowed I was never going to go through this again.) Friday nights are for mentally checking out. I usually skip the gym and settle in for the evening with a good book or movie, maybe exert some effort to cook something decent. Saturdays tend to look the same. Sunday evenings are spent mentally gearing up for the coming week, possibly channel surfing, and generally cleaning my apartment, paying bills, etc. And organizing things - that falls on just about every evening, as I really love to sort, clean and organize things. Even with only 350 square feet of living space, I still find things to rearrange and tidy.
And then there are Thursday nights.
Thursday nights are extra special.
They are set aside for two very important things:
Sports Illustrated and Jesus.
I feel slightly irreverent for even putting those things in the same sentence, as if I'm going to get struck by lightning for even thinking about putting them on the same level.
But seriously. Thursday nights are kinda sorta my favorite time of the week.
The Jesus part involves my women's Bible study. I've been leading this Bible study for I don't know how many years now. I love these women. I love their hearts. I love their devotion in showing up every Thursday night and occasionally listening to me ramble. I love laughing with them. I love telling stories with them. I love talking about Jesus with them. We talk about the hard things in life, the things that leave us feeling a bit raw on the inside, the things that we wouldn't breathe out loud to anyone else. It makes for worthwhile time and I wouldn't trade that time with them.
And then there is Sports Illustrated. Now, don't mistake me for a super serious sports fan. I'm not. But I love good stories and good storytelling. And Sports Illustrated delivers on good stories and good storytelling by good writers. I practically want to sprint to my mailbox every Thursday after I get off work because this is the magical day on which the magazine is delivered. As I stick the key in my mailbox and slowly swing open the door, there is probably a split second where I stop breathing, half afraid that I'm going to open it and find that the mailman failed to deliver it for some reason. But there it is, 9 times out of 10, tucked safely in the confines of mailbox #26. I sometimes want to quietly jump up and down and clap my hands I'm so excited about getting it. It makes me think of Meg Ryan in the movie You've Got Mail. (How many times I have now quoted this movie? Here, here and probably a variety of other occasions. It never gets old.) Her character, Kathleen Kelly, is corresponding with Tom Hanks' character, back in the days of AOL and chat rooms: "What will NY152 (that's Tom) say today, I wonder. I turn on my computer. I wait impatiently as it connects. I go online, and my breath catches in my chest until I hear three little words: You've got mail. I hear nothing. Not even a sound on the streets of New York, just the beating of my own heart. I have mail. From you."
I've got mail. From Sports Illustrated.
I have to force myself to not abandon other tasks and immediately sit down and start reading it as soon as I get back to my apartment. There's usually a laundry list of things I have to accomplish before I go to Bible study later in the evening, so I try to power through those and then head off to study. I meet with the girls, we laugh, we cry, we talk about Jesus, we get our fill.
And then when I get back home, I change into my pajamas, crawl into bed, curl up and unfurl the pages of Sports Illustrated, faithful to read it from cover to cover, usually staying up way later than I normally do because I just can't stand not reading the whole thing in one sitting. If you try to call me on a Thursday night, you will probably get my voicemail, with your call to be returned on a night other than a Thursday.
"Sign of the Apocalypse" is probably my favorite part, even though it only takes up about 2 square inches of real estate. Cracks me up nearly every time. And that Yogi Berra /obituary/tribute that Tom Verducci wrote here awhile back right after Yogi died? I nearly wanted to cry after I read it. Before I read that tribute, about all I knew about Yogi Berra was that he played baseball. And I really don't like baseball. But after I read Verducci's column, I was wishing I loved baseball more and had been best friends with the man, such an endearing image was presented of Yogi Berra. Same way with Rick Reilly's latest article on the Warriors and Steph Curry. Amazing writing. I also don't care for pro basketball, but I now have a Post-It note sitting on my desk with the dates of when the Warriors play next.
"Sign of the Apocalypse" is probably my favorite part, even though it only takes up about 2 square inches of real estate. Cracks me up nearly every time. And that Yogi Berra /obituary/tribute that Tom Verducci wrote here awhile back right after Yogi died? I nearly wanted to cry after I read it. Before I read that tribute, about all I knew about Yogi Berra was that he played baseball. And I really don't like baseball. But after I read Verducci's column, I was wishing I loved baseball more and had been best friends with the man, such an endearing image was presented of Yogi Berra. Same way with Rick Reilly's latest article on the Warriors and Steph Curry. Amazing writing. I also don't care for pro basketball, but I now have a Post-It note sitting on my desk with the dates of when the Warriors play next.
And pictures. I probably have a dozen or more photos that I have ripped out of the pages of SI, using a glue stick to tack them down to this notebook I keep of magazine articles and random things I want to keep. (It's like the waaaaaay old school version of Pinterest. You know, the non-digital version that involves scissors, paper and glue.) I probably cut out three or four just this past year alone thanks to American Pharoah.
I secretly want to contact Sports Illustrated and gush about how much I love their magazine, and how I carve out a chunk of time just to read their magazine. Is that weird? Probably if I had any form of social media, I could actually improve my chances of making my love known to them by tweeting them or posting a message on Facebook.
But my sincere apologies, SI. Even you aren't worth creating a social media account for. There are limits to my affection for you.
But just know that my Thursdays will always belong to you. After Jesus, of course.
No comments:
Post a Comment