![]() |
| Thio and I |
We were chopping up carrots or tomatoes or some other vegetable that I can't quite remember. Thio turned to me and asked very quietly, very frankly, "Have you ever prayed to God for something and he has not yet delivered it?"
I don't think I was quite ready for such a profound question so early in the day, let alone while standing over vegetables, doing what seemed to be an all together mindless task.
I nodded and thought about the answer for a moment, slowly rattling off a few things that came to mind. And I said, "What about you? What have you been praying for that God has not yet delivered?"
She stopped for a moment and then said in a very humble voice, "A home. I want a home so that I can serve God with it, so that I can invite people in and give them a place to stay so that they don't have to worry about staying somewhere else. I want a home so that when my family or my children's friends come over, they can have a room to themselves. I want a home so that when my church hosts conferences, I can invite people to stay with us for the week."
Such a pure and honest a request, from a pure and selfless heart. A home of her own so that she can give it away to others. A home of her own, not to enjoy for herself, but so that others might find rest and peace.
These are the moments I will miss most, moments spent talking about the deep things of life, like unanswered prayers, someday dreams, what it really means to sacrifice your only child and why people in America don't always want to go to church. And maybe the occasional conversation about how to slaughter a goat, which is what Stephen and I discussed earlier this week.
And these are the people I will miss the most. When I was here two years ago, the vast majority of my time was spent with the children. I tried to soak in every moment with them. The time with them was a gift. But this time around - the gift has come in the form of friendships formed with the Kenyans who selflessly serve these very same children every day. I still love the children, but my desire to spend time with them faded more and more over the last two months in light of finding such enjoyment from people like Thio and Stephen, people who love Jesus with their whole heart, people who I look up to and admire a great deal. These are people I have come to delight in and to enjoy their company so very much. I have come to love Stephen's laugh and Moses' joking ways. I have come to love Sophie's attempts at teaching me Kiswahili. (Turns out I'm not a very good student.) I have come to love the simple conversations shared over slices of potatoes, kale, tomatoes and spinach. I have come to love the intense conversations about whether Jephthah actually sacrificed his daughter or not. (Judges 11 - it has left us perplexed on occasion.) I have come to love the songs that filter through the air as Thio or Sophie sing their way through the morning. I have come to love the soft greeting of hello that slips from Bevin's mouth, sometimes so quiet I think she's whispering. Yes, these are but a few of the things I have come to love - and will miss the most.
One thing I have learned - or maybe just been reminded of - while standing in the middle of the hustle and bustle of the village kitchen is this: love is both sacrificial and present. It not only lays aside its own wants and needs but it shows up. It makes itself known, it makes itself available, here, now, today. Love shares its life. Love does, as Bob Goff says. I'm sure there are some people who think it's maybe a little bit crazy to spend all this money to buy a plane ticket, quit your job and come halfway around the world just to chop up carrots, tutor some kids and make paper crowns for the latest Resident of the Month. And that's okay - everybody's entitled to an opinion. But here's what I figure - there was a man who stepped down from His throne and put on some skin just so He could bandage my wounds. It's a love that is both sacrificial and present. Jesus showed up. He shared not only the gospel, but his life as well. I am learning to do the same, through the example of these beautiful Kenyan people.
![]() |
| Me, Bevin, Janet, Sophie, Thio, Joyce, and Stephen |
I think there are always moments when you come to places like this and you expect to be the blessing to those you meet. (We're so arrogant, aren't we? We humans always manage to make it about ourselves, don't we?) But the true miracle is when you discover it is you that is blessed by people who have shared with you not only the gospel of God - but their lives as well.
"Because we loved you so much, we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well." 1 Thessalonians 2:8


2 comments:
Courtney - if you're not able to post again before you come home what a fitting final entry for your time in Kenya. I have often prayed that you would be a blessing but that you would also be blessed. It's a joy to know the answer to that prayer has been delivered. Love you and look forward to having you home
Thanks for sharing your adventure with us, Courtney!
~pam~
Post a Comment