| Christian's banner hanging at the Genzyme headquarters in Cambridge, Massachusetts. |
One of those stories belongs to my cousin, Christian. (I actually should have written this post yesterday on the official FH Awareness Day, but I'm still operating on the Kenyans' approach to time - I'll get there when I get there.) Christian has this rare disease that I can't even pronounce half the time (Familial Hypercholestrolemia - we'll just go with its initials FH for my sake), but he basically has insanely high cholestrol levels. It's made him prone to heart disease and the like since he was a child. He had a scare awhile back when doctors discovered he had several parts of his heart over 70% blocked. Since then, he's been partnering with the FH Foundation and a company called Genzyme to promote awareness about this crazy rare disease. He's been traversing the country and the globe it seems, giving talks at places like Harvard, meeting other patients and speaking at conferences in England and cheering on runners in the Boston Marathon who were running in his honor. He's become quite the little spokesman for this disease - because he's literally 1 in a million. I'm so proud of him and all of the work that he's doing.
I'll take a break from my storytelling, to let him tell his own...
No comments:
Post a Comment