Whew! What a whirlwind these last few days have been it seems. Students have been packing their bags and moving out, parents have been coming and going, and diplomas have been flying out of the hands of university officials. I stood at the ceremony last night for the Graduate and Adult Studies students and I had this panicked moment where I thought to myself, "Holy schnikes! This is me in a year!" Then at the undergraduate ceremony this morning, I thought to myself, "Holy schnikes! This was me two years ago!" Man, how time flies. I look back and I think about how fast the years of undergrad went and now I stand in the midst of my graduate program thinking how fast this is flying by as well. Always a bittersweet moment.
I wrapped up my application for Africa this week. It's always a scary moment when you read the waiver at the bottom that says you're willing to accept whatever risks associated with this trip, even death. Yikes. Makes you rethink a few things and really makes you consider whether you really want to go through with this or not. But I do. I've wanted to go to Africa for a long time now and the reality is that there will never be a "good time" to go. So often we say "well, someday I'll do this or that" and before you know it, some day has come and gone and you're left wondering what happened. So, no more 'some days' when it comes to me and my thoughts of going to Africa. I sent off the application, now I'll just have to wait and see. It's through the Rafiki Foundation, based in Eustis, Florida. I have some friends that have connections to it and after considering which organization to go with, this seemed like the best choice. They have a focus on serving the needs of people there - and considering there are so many basic needs in Africa not being met, we have to be honest about the fact that the Gospel will never be heard in the lives of people if we can't even meet the simplest needs like clean water and food. It would be a four week trip, possibly longer. My first choice on countries to go to was Kenya, followed by Uganda and Rwanda.
As I've thought about Africa, though, in recent days I was reminded of a quote by Frederick Buechner, who defined vocation as the place where "your deepest gladness meets the world's deepest needs." I can't say that my vocation some day is going to be in Africa or meeting the needs there - I don't know ultimately where I'll end up, as that part of the story is still to be written - but I can't help but think of Africa as a place that has some of the world's deepest needs. But what gladness fills the lives of some of the people there. People, who by American standards, have nothing, but are still laughing in the face of that nothingness. The resiliency of the people there is remarkable. It reminds me of the verses in Proverbs 30:7-8, which says, "Two things I ask of you, O LORD; do not refuse me before I die: Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread."
Give me only my daily bread, Lord. This day, Lord, give me only what I need and that is simply more of You.
No comments:
Post a Comment