Pages

12.30.2024

2024: The Year of Strange Joy

"Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed." 1 Peter 4:12-13

2024. You were a hit from my blindside that literally left me with a blow to the head. I feel like I've lived a lifetime in a single year. It’s been a year of shock, upheaval, and chaos at times. It’s been a year of figuring out how to live in a body that has often not felt like my own and a brain that has aged seemingly overnight. It’s been a year of moments filled with trying to fathom life beyond the next hour, let alone December 30. It’s been a year filled with moments of crying my eyes out because that’s all I felt like I had the capacity to do. It’s been a year of moments spent walking laps around my parents’ yard, practically wearing out what looks like a game trail, aiming to strengthen muscles that had forgotten how to function. It’s been a year of staring at one MRI after another, some showing large white masses and some now showing large gaping black holes. 

But it’s also been a year of financial abundance when it should have been a year of financial scarcity (turns out living with your parents can do wonders for your budget).  It's been a year of supernatural peace on the inside despite the swirling maelstrom on the outside. It's been a year of hearing God's voice more clearly despite the deafening noise of beeping monitors and the chatter of so many medical providers. 

It's been a year of strong weakness.

It's been a year of fractured hope.

It's been a year of strange joy.

Author Hannah Anderson wrote in her book Heaven and Nature Sing: 25 Advent Reflections to Bring Joy to the World, referencing the 1 Peter verses above and the stories of Mary and Simeon found in Luke 2:
This is a strange kind of joy - one that cannot be explained by sentimentality or celebration. It's the joy of an old man like Simeon, exhausted and broken by the suffering of the world, holding hope in his arms. It is the joy of a mother like Mary knowing that her child will change everything, but that she will lose him in the process. It is the joy of us who have followed this Promised Son in the way of suffering and found him faithful. It is . . . the joy of sharp pain and glorious beauty persevering together (pg. 111).

I have followed this Promised Son this year as best I know how.

And I have found that Promised Son faithful. Unimaginably so.

This cannot be explained by sentimentality or celebration. 

This can only be explained by a God who is wildly gracious, loving, and kind. But he's also a sovereign God who, in wisdom, allows trials to come our way. Trials that soften the edges of our souls. Trials that show us he is God over all we know. Trials that humble us and remind us we cannot live by bread alone, but on every word that comes from his mouth. Trials that teach us there's a story greater than ourselves being told, stories that are largely about him and not about us. Trials that refine us, leaving us more tender, more compassionate toward the world around us (most of the time anyway. There's still some goofballs out there for whom I have little compassion).

This is the joy of sharp pain and glorious beauty persevering together

This is the year I've witnessed strange joy up close and personal.

It turns out strange joy looks a lot like the face of Jesus.

"I've Witnessed It" by Passion, featuring Melodie Malone

When I was lost and all alone
Your presence was where I found home
You were there and You’re here right now

In every high and every low
You never left me without hope
You were good and You’re good right now

[Chorus]
I’ve witnessed Your faithfulness
I’ve seen You breathe life within
So I’ll pour out my praise again
You’re worthy, God you’re worthy of all of it
Your promises never fail
I’ve got stories I’ll live to tell
So I’ll pour out my praise again
You’re worthy, God you’re worthy of all of it

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yesssss it does. Amen. Love that song & it's sentiment. Pouring out praise unending. Love you Court & am continuing to lift His power and presence in your life! (ALL our lives)
P. Willows

Anonymous said...

Prompting adding to my playlist. Amen and Amen!
~Ruth

Anonymous said...

Courtney, you are indeed "fearfully
And wonderfully made." Love you to the moon! Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Courtney!! I have received so much comfort and help from reading your blog. You are a real light for our Savior Jesus Christ!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, as always, for sharing your life’s journey with us. The song, its lyrics are beautiful and touch my soul. My prayers continue, sweet girl. Melanie M