Author Hannah Anderson said in a recent post,
"The paradox of place is that while God may exist everywhere, human beings don’t. Made from the dust of the earth, we’re forever linked to it and can no more escape its boundaries than we can escape ourselves. In fact, we each owe our existence, at least in some small way, to geography. We can’t trace our heritage without simultaneously tracing the map, the places where our forebears lived and loved forever bound up in the strands of our DNA. So important is geography to human identity that when God the Son became human, when he willfully assumed the limits of time and space, he became Jesus of Nazareth, the son of the carpenter Joseph who went up to Bethlehem because he was of the house and lineage of David."
All these places, and so many others in between.
They are how I've marked my life. Season by season, I've traced my life through pages of road atlases, Google Maps and airline miles. I've flown over those "flyover states" more times than I count. I've crossed the Atlantic, and I've crossed the Pacific. I've seen the Rocky Mountains, the Caucuses Mountains, the Smoky Mountains, the St. Elias Mountains, and a few others in between.
But there's always that one place. That one place that has marked us more significantly than all the others combined.
San Diego has been that place for me.
The summer after my sophomore year of college, I lived in Mission Beach, an area not far from downtown San Diego. That summer changed everything for me. Jesus changed everything for me. He completely altered the trajectory of my life, in ways I couldn't have fathomed as a college kid or fully comprehended at the time.
![]() |
| Sunset over the Pacific, off the shores of Mission Beach |
I set foot on that beach a few weeks ago, and I was taken back in time, remembering that college girl I used to be. I recognized so many of the shops and streets and buildings, all of them reminders of a different season of life, a season so full of wrestling, doubt and uncertainty, a season that disrupted my life and set me on a path of fierce determination to chase after Jesus for all my days. San Diego is where I anchored my faith out in deep waters, the place where I shouted at God in the pages of my journals, desperate for him to reveal himself to me. It's the place where I demanded signs of him and all I got in return was silence and that still small voice. It's the place where he asked of me, "Are you all in whether you ever sense my presence again or not, whether you ever see me move again in your life?" No cloud, no whirlwind, no bolt of lightning. Just that still small voice.
And I hear that still small voice again in this season of life. This season of anxiety and panic attacks, a season of feeling like the rug got ripped out from underneath me, leaving me floundering, my body feeling the shock waves for months now. A season when he's asking yet again, "Are you still all in?"
I stood on the beaches of San Diego a few weeks ago and told Jesus -
"My answer is 'yes.' I'm still all in."
I was marking another season of life by geography.
In 1 Samuel 7, Samuel took a stone, set it up between Mizpah and Shen and named it Ebenezer. "Thus far the Lord has helped us."
He was effectively declaring, "It is here, now, in this place, where we will proclaim what God has done for us, how he has carried us thus far."
It was there, then, in that place, on that beach, where I declared, "Thus far the Lord has helped me."
My life has been forever marked by the sand and shores of San Diego. It was between Coronado Island and Pacific Beach, in a neighborhood called Mission Beach, where I took a figurative stone, named it Ebenezer, and declared:
Thus far has the Lord helped me.
![]() |
| You always have to take a jumping photo for good measure. |
If you want to read more about the power of place and location, check out Hannah Anderson's compelling read over on the The Gospel Coalition's site, "Finding Our Place: Our Family's Long Quest for Calling and Home."


1 comment:
You always have great jumping pictures! :)
Post a Comment