Pages

8.12.2017

No More Major Life Decisions

Update: I found my credit card! Three guesses as to where it was, and the first two don't count. In my wallet, you ask? Why, yes, yes it was. Just in a different pocket than normal.  *Palm to forehead.*

Y'all.

I should not be allowed to make anymore major life decisions.  It does crazy things to my brain. 

I texted my brother the other night explaining all that had been going on and he informed me I should just stay in my apartment for the rest of the weekend and not move.  My other friend suggested I find myself a bunker and just hunker down for awhile until my sanity was restored. 

And by major life decision I mean purchasing a new vehicle. 

I have been saving for years for a new vehicle.  While my little Mercury Mariner has been a faithful little car for the last 10 years, I was getting to the point where I was spending more money on repairs than the car was worth.  And when I found myself quite literally sweating through my t-shirt, fearful it wouldn't even survive the drive to the mechanic (thank you, failed fuel injector), I knew I was going to have to move up my timeline.  I was hoping to make it to the end of the year, but that just wasn't going to happen.

A Ford F-150 had long been the dream, but I eventually came to the conclusion I was going to pay a lot of money for a vehicle I only planned on using one part of.  I had no plans to tow or haul anything, so I basically would be spending money on the bed of a truck I never intended to use.  And gas mileage?  Yeah, we all know what gas mileage looks like on trucks.  Lousy.  So I talked myself out of that one. 

After more homework, and test driving, and reading Consumer Reports, and talking to a variety of friends, I made the big decision to buy a Subaru Forester.  I found one I wanted online, promptly headed to the dealer, and 4 hours later, I walked out with the keys to a new vehicle.

My capacity to think straight went downhill after that. 

The day after I bought it, I made plans with my brother and sister-in-law to go with them to a local Irish festival. While on my way there, I discovered I had left my wallet behind at my aunt and uncle's house, for whom I had been house/dog-sitting. 

Never in all my life have I ever left my wallet behind.  Never.  Not once.  It's not like me to forget things or be disorganized.

Being displaced by staying at someone else's house for 10 days probably wasn't helping the cause, shuffling between their house, my apartment and work, but still.  I got to the Irish festival (and even that was questionable because I was so frazzled at this point that I wasn't even entirely sure what road I was on or where I was going) and found a parking space.  But since I was in an unfamiliar vehicle, I had a moment when I couldn't figure out how to unlock the car and get out.  Help me, Jesus, help me.

I managed to make it a few more days with my head barely attached, but that was a minor miracle.  Then yesterday rolled around.

I discovered I had a thumbtack stuck in one of my brand new tires. I haven't even had this car one week! Just my luck.  I called around to both a local tire store and the dealer, to see who had the tire on hand and for what price.  I ended up back at the Subaru dealer and they replaced the tire.

But while I was standing there at the counter to pay for the new tire, rummaging through my wallet (which I had left behind at my aunt and uncle's and now had in my possession again), I discovered my credit card is gone.  Not in its usual spot, not anywhere else in my purse, gone.  Vanished.  I rarely use it, so it would be easy for me to go some time without realizing it's gone.  I called the card company immediately and cancelled, and I still have no idea where it is.

What has happened to my brain?  I leave my wallet behind, I can't find my credit card, I nearly couldn't figure out how to get out of my own vehicle.  I might as well be a cat trying to fight its way out of a paper bag. 

Can you imagine what it will be like if I ever buy a house? Get married? Have children?  All I did was buy a new vehicle and suddenly I can't function.

Say a prayer now for my future husband.  He's going to need all the help he can get.  Because I sure won't be much help at this rate.  

No comments: