My sweet friend, Myrt, sat in that chair grieving the loss of her husband, Paul, of 47 years.
And as I sat next to her in their little apartment, she said through her tears, with a far off look in her eyes, “I kept telling Paul, ‘Put me in your pocket and take me with you because I don’t want to be here without you.’”
Put me in your pocket – because I don’t want to be here without you.
I was nearly a puddle on the floor.
For all the years I have known Myrt, she has always joked she wanted to die 5 minutes after Paul. She wanted enough time to make the bed, clean up the kitchen and then she wanted out of here. She also never wanted to live past 80 years. She hit her 80th birthday and by golly, she was ready to meet Jesus. That 80th birthday came and went over 18 months ago, much to her dismay.
As I sat there in her apartment, crying right alongside her, she grieving the loss of her beloved and me grieving the loss of a man I greatly admired, my heart ached deep within me.
Because what Myrt was saying to Paul was the same refrain I've been hearing over and over again in my own heart in recent weeks in my prayers to Jesus. And what had been echoing in my heart and rolling around in my head was now being played out in reality right before me, this perfect parallel to all the thoughts I had been sorting through in recent weeks.
I was recently set up on a blind date of sorts with a guy who turned out to be pretty great. We went on a string of dates, but we both eventually came to the conclusion it just wasn't a good match. It ended gracefully and my heart is whole. That’s not so much the point, though, as the reflection that particular has situation sparked in me. I just remember praying over and over again as I walked through that process, “Jesus, I don’t want more of this if I don’t get more of you.” And I meant it. I didn't want to go one step farther in that relationship if I didn't get more of Jesus.
I kept coming back to Exodus 33:15-16, “If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us? What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?”
If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here.
Because what is the point in going if, Immanuel, literally translated the “With Us God”, doesn't go with us?
And just like Myrt said to Paul, “I don’t want to be here if you’re not here,” I keep saying to Jesus, “I don’t want to go somewhere if you’re not there.”
It’s not worth it. If you’re not in it, if you’re not here or there or wherever with me, I don’t want to go. Put me in your pocket and take me with you. Because if your Presence doesn't go with me, don’t send me up from here. Dear God, please don’t send me up from here, wherever here might be, in whatever season of life it might be.
I’m no good without you.
Sweet Myrt will say her final goodbyes this week. And I’m sure she’ll keep repeating the refrain over in head, “Paul, I don’t want to be here without you.”
And in similar fashion, I’ll keep saying, “Jesus, I don’t want to go somewhere if you’re not there.”
No comments:
Post a Comment