Pages

9.23.2014

Don't Miss the Josephines of This World

I have found the older I get the more I enjoy being by myself.  I love going to the movies by myself, catching a show on Saturday mornings. (The latest was The Fault In Our Stars. I cried through most of it.)  I like going on roadtrips by myself. (Eight hours in the car to Missouri with nothing but me and some music? Sign me up.)  I like traveling overseas by myself. (The sweet bliss of two days in New Zealand.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat.)

I haven't decided if this is good or bad yet.  

I think a large part of it has to do with my singleness.  I made a decision a long time ago that I couldn't - and wouldn't - put life on hold even if there was nobody beside me.  There was too much living to do in the meantime and I didn't want to miss it because of fears.

That resolve has grown over time.

I think of all the adventures I would have never gone on because nobody was with me.  I wouldn't have moved out to Missouri to go to school.  I didn't know a soul when I went.  I would never have gone to Kenya. I didn't know anybody the first time around to Kenya. (On the second trip, my boyfriend at the time was supposed to go with me.  When he told me he decided not to go - and then proceeded to break up with me the next day - he asked me if I was still planning on going even though he wasn't.  I think I must have looked at him like he had just asked me the dumbest question in the world. Duh. Of course I'm still going.)  I would never have gone to North Carolina.  Or New Zealand.  Or a whole lot of other places in between.

I was reminded of the value of this resolve this past Saturday, this idea that there is so much life you miss when you choose to sit on the sidelines, even if no one is next to you.

My mom had free tickets to the zoo, asked if I wanted them.  I had checked with a couple of friends but no one else could go.  I decided to go anyway, mainly because I love the zoo and because I was looking forward to the time alone.

I got there right as the zoo opened and wandered around for a bit, checking out the new Heart of Africa exhibit and some other exhibits nearby.

I eventually ended up at the beaver exhibit.  There was no one else around except for this elderly woman on her scooter.  We struck up a conversation, small talk really, about the beavers and what not.

She then went on to explain that she was at the zoo for the first time as part of her bucket list, anxious to meet Jack Hanna, our Director Emeritus, known world-wide.

Come to find out, she was a British immigrant, having immigrated to the States back in 1953.  She had enlisted in the British military when she was just a little over 17 and then served during World War II.  An organization called The Twilight Wish Foundation was granting her wish that day, setting up a personal meet-and-greet with Jack later that day.

I was fascinated by her British accent and what little bit of her story she had already shared with me.  I asked her if I could tag along and show her around the zoo.  She kindly accepted and off we went.

I loved every minute spent with her that morning.  She was a sassy, chatty, little Brit, full of spunk and no-nonsense attitude.  All 89 years of her life unfolded as we walked - or as she said, "motored" - around the zoo.  She had this endearingly candid personality about her.  She kept telling me I could go off on my own whenever I wanted, but I told her I had no agenda for the day and I enjoyed her stories too much to part ways just yet.  I think we were probably a couple hours into the morning before I finally learned her name - Josephine.

About three hours later, after many stories and nearly walking my legs off, I deposited her at the stage area where she was scheduled to meet Jack.  I shook her hand, thanked her and walked off into the crowd, completely unaware of the mini-celebrity I had just spent the morning with.

I told my mom about the adventure and the chance encounter later that afternoon.  She then sent me a text message that evening, saying my new friend, Josephine, had been plastered on the news, with a special segment given to her meeting with Jack Hanna.  And then there was a segment about her on the radio Monday morning.  Numerous new outlets had picked up the story.

And as I reflected later - I just kept having this recurring thought:

Don't miss the Josephines of this world.

(And not because she was all over the news or somehow famous in her own little way.  That has nothing to do with it.)

But simply because she had a story to tell.  And it was worth hearing.  And it was worth entering into.

Don't miss the world around you just because there isn't a boyfriend, husband, girlfriend, wife, family member, friend or whomever standing next to you.

Because if you wait for someone to go with you then you miss people like Josephine. You miss the ones who have their own stories to tell and maybe are likewise looking for someone to tell their story to.

Don't miss the ones who have their own adventures to go on.  Join them.  Go and live this life.

Then you will find out you're not so alone after all.

To catch the full interviews and new stories with Josephine, check out 10TV's interview with her, as well as an article the Toledo Blade did on her from 2011, sharing the details on her Honor Flight.
      

No comments: