Packing for overseas trips has become a bit of a game for me. I'm determined to someday go overseas and pack only a book bag. I thought I could pull it off on this trip and I was giving it a valiant effort. I finally had to succumb, however, and accept the fact that it was just not meant to be. My suitcase that I'm checking still only weighs 26 pounds. Pack light or stay home is my motto! (Thank you, Kristen P. for articulating that for me the last time I packed to go overseas.) I'll have one small suitcase to check, a book bag to carry-on and a small purse - all totaling 48 pounds. I love efficient packing. I think my goal is always to take less and less on each successive trip I take. Maybe one of these days I'll achieve my own personal gold standard of only carrying on a book bag and checking no luggage.
This trip is going to be a bit of a departure from my last few trips. I'm heading out with the Jesus Film Project to a little French island off the coast of Australia called New Caledonia for two weeks and then spending a couple of extra days in New Zealand before I head back home. There are a whole host of thoughts that have gone into deciding to go on this trip, but I'll unpack those on another day.
You can bet, though, in those 48 pounds of luggage I'm carting around there is most certainly a box of Cheez-Its. This should not surprise you.
Where I go, they go. They went with me to Kenya and they went with me to Guatemala. They will now go with me to New Caledonia and New Zealand. What would I do without you, Cheez-Its?

No comments:
Post a Comment