Someone recently told me I was the definition of insanity.
How kind of him. Such a good friend.
I was having a conversation with this someone, a friend of mine from college, about a month ago. Our decade-long friendship has been a bit of a rocky road, usually entailing telling the other person what they need to hear and not what they want to hear. It hasn't always gone over well. But there are those rare moments when he manages to make a statement I actually happen to agree with.
This was not one of those moments.
We were discussing over the phone our dating lives - and sometimes the lack of. We weighed the value of online dating - the pros, cons and pitfalls - and discussed his seemingly effortless ability to get a date and my utter indifference to even exerting the effort to get a date. (He is a highly social and extroverted character, so introverts such as myself are quite a mystery to him.)
At which point he told me I was the definition of insanity. Meaning I keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. And in his words, it meant unless I want to marry the UPS man, I'm going to have to make more of an effort and change my game plan.
I had no snappy comeback so I just went silent. Quite frankly, I was too annoyed, angry and defensive. The comment stung and no rational thoughts were coming to my brain.
And maybe the comment stung because there was a tiny bit of truth to it. Yes, I probably am the definition of insanity on occasion, and not just in the realm of dating. I'll own that.
But as I pondered that thought in recent weeks, what I really should have said and wish I would have said back to him in that moment was this:
If marriage were my number one goal in life, then, yes, I am the definition of insanity. Lock me up, put me in a straight jacket and give me my meds.
But because Jesus is the goal, I have been set free. My life does not hinge on whether or not I am married. It does not hinge on whether or not I have hit a certain quota of dates per week, per month, per lifetime, per whatever. It does not hinge on whether I have an online profile with eHarmony. com, match.com or christianmingle.com. It does not hinge on whether or not the UPS man ever shows up on my doorstep and it does not hinge on whether or not anybody ever puts a ring on my finger and says to me, "I do."
It hinges on Jesus only.
He is the goal.
And that's all I need to know. Are there times when I was wish there was a boyfriend or husband by my side? Of course. There is no doubt a longing deep in my heart for that.
But my world has not, is not, will not come tumbling down around me in the absence of that.
I will not strive (see #5 here) and fight my way through this world in search of someone to fill a gap that only Jesus can. I get the sweet freedom of resting in his sovereignty and chasing after Him.
So, if that makes me the definition of insanity - then I'll gladly move to the front of the line.
No comments:
Post a Comment