Pages

11.29.2013

Sucker for a Good Love Letter

I am always a sucker for a good love note. Does my heart a world of good. They make bad days better and they make good days the best.

And clearly I like to hang on to them for decades at a time when a good one comes along - as evidenced by the one I found today while on a cleaning spree.



I received this particular love note while at Camp Kirkwood one year.  I might have been maybe 11-12 years old, 13 at the oldest.  I had definitely noticed this particular boy, Nick.  And while he had noticed me, he obviously had not taken the time to learn my name or at least ask around.  But we were 12, so I probably should let the boy off the hook.  He simply wrote,
Dear Girl, 
Sorry I don't know your name.  Please meet me at the grill today at lunch.  I am kind of shy, but give me a chance and I'll come through.  At the camp fire, I was riding the guys back [I really have no idea if that's what that particular sentence says - it's the best I can make out.  Maybe "writing" the guys back?] I hope you saw me.  We'll I guess I have to go. 
With hope you'll meet me, 
Nme [his initials]
P.S. I'm not the best spellor spelor speer.  Whatever."
And on the backside of the note, he wrote and then crossed out:

One more thing.  I'm not some preppy morane.  Just thought you should know. 

Several things to note:
1) You're right, NME.  You are a terrible speller.  I apparently couldn't get past poor writing and grammar skills, even at such a young age. I still have troubles with that today when a guy doesn't write well...  
2) I never went to meet NME at the grill at lunch that day.  Or any day, a fact which I have often lamented because I had a serious crush on that kid.  I was just too chicken.  And shy.  We at least had that in common.  He obviously had more guts than I did because he at least bothered to write a note.  Even if he didn't know my name.  
3) I'm glad to know you're not a preppy moron.  Again, I clearly couldn't get past the bad spelling of "moron," however.
4) I'm not telling you, my readers, his full name because I know you all - you would immediately go and google him.  No chance.
5) NME, I'm sorry to have dashed your hopes.  I hope I didn't scar you for life, though.  Kids are resilient, so I'm sure you made a quick recovery.  And I hope you eventually found a girl who would meet you at the grill.  


No comments: