"It was amazing. I do not at all understand the mystery of grace - only that it meets us where we are but does not leave us where it found us. It can be received gladly or grudgingly, in big gulps or in tiny tastes, like a deer at the salt. I gobbled it, licked it, held it down..." - Anne Lamott, Traveling Mercies
I was like deer at the salt on Monday night at our church's monthly house of prayer. Huddled between two of the godliest women I know, we drank deeply of that grace and received it gladly.
I have the awesome privilege of being surrounded by a lot of amazing women and have had that privilege for a long while. One of those mysteries of grace that I'll receive gladly, in big gulps. I get a little stunned when I look back over my life, especially from college until now, and I tick off on my fingers all of the women that I hold so dear. Mentors, confidants, partners-in-crime, comforters, co-sojourners. I can't even begin to write a list out of all the women I think are so priceless. I wish that all could be surrounded by such a gathering of wise, wise friends.
But tonight I especially want to esteem two of my dearest friends in this season of life - Jill and Alex. I'm sure if you know me very well, you hear me talk about these two women a lot (and some of you probably even get tired of hearing me talk about them. My apologies!). But it's because they have played/are playing such an integral role in who I am as a Christ-follower. Alex's fiancé Jed, now (affectionately?) refers to us as The Tribe. "I'll just call you The Tribe." "Oh, The Tribe is meeting again." "You just saw each other less than twelve hours ago, what else could you possibly have to talk about??" Lots, Jed, lots. We're women. There is always something to be said.
As I sat at the house of prayer quietly praying over so many things the Lord kept bringing to my mind, sweet Jill walks over and, with tears in her eyes, asks if she can pray for me. So her and I begin praying. I'm sure we've got eye make-up streaming down our faces by the time she's done. Then Alex walks over and sits down. Also crying. So then we begin sharing some Scripture and just hashing out some things that had been happening recently, things we were praying for. Then I start praying for Alex. Then I pray for Jill. And by the time that all got done, we really were messes. Runny noses, not enough tissues and too many tears.
It's moments like that when I think, "This is what this looks like - to intercede, to come alongside, to draw nearer to one another and to Jesus, and to embrace the tears and runny noses." Life is messy and complicated as it is. We each are facing series of circumstances, which certainly are not unique to mankind, but to us they seem to leave us with gaping holes in our hearts - relationships from our past that haunt us in ways we didn't see coming, ones that threaten to knock us over, battles with insecurities and worthlessness, thoughts of some-day and not-yet marriages, confusion over next steps.
But it's in those moments that grace shows up. Sometimes it comes in the form of encouraging notes, unexpected phone calls, bouquets of "just-because" flowers. But this time it showed up with skin on, in the form of two women who I esteem highly and who are crazy about Jesus. I love the line from the deleted scenes portion of P.S. I Love You, when John says, “You never have another best friend like the first one you have when you’re old enough to know who you are in life.” And it's so true. But in this case, "friend" happens to be plural for me - "friends." Because I'll never have other best friends like these first ones I've had when I was finally old enough to know who I was in life. Well, maybe that's not entirely accurate because I'm still figuring out a lot about my life and those first best friends extends well beyond Jill and Alex. But nevertheless, I'll welcome the grace that God so graciously provides. I'll keep gobbling it and holding it down as best I can.
No comments:
Post a Comment