Pages

8.15.2011

"What? You Too?"

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one."   - C.S. Lewis

I must say, I've got it good when it comes to friendships.  This past week I took a little road trip out to Missouri, back to my alma mater to spend a few days catching up with some of the dearest people in my life, and to also witness a friend's wedding. 

It's always a whirlwind returning to Missouri for such weekend excursions, but every moment winds up being so valuable.  As soon as I landed on Wednesday afternoon, I met up with a friend for dinner and then spent the evening with Ed and Debbie.  I can't even begin to express how much that couple has influenced my life, particularly Debbie.  I imagine college would have looked very different without her guidance. 

Thursday was spent drinking and eating my way through conversations - and by drinking I mean French Vanilla cappuccinos and strawberry smoothies.  I made a pit-stop back on campus to see former co-workers, people I consider dear friends.  Friday was similar with a surprise visit from a friend that I wasn't expecting to see, but was so grateful to spend time with her.  Just so many good conversations, the ones that just feel so right.  The ones where it's a little bit like coming home.  The ones that are exactly what C.S. Lewis was talking about, where you remember the moment when you first met and said, "Yes!  Someone who gets me.  It's nice to know I'm not alone in my zany-ness and quirks and insecurities." 

It's nice to know I've got kindred spirits who are willing to laugh along with me, who know not to take ourselves too seriously.  It's nice to know I've got a friend close by who will move with me into a convent when we've decided we've had enough of boys and their shenanigans.  (We're totally joking, but we often say we're going to join a convent when we want to take the easy way out and just avoid boys all together.  It's happened frequently as of late.)  It's nice to know I've got friends who can talk Mizzou and Ohio State football as well as they can talk about theology, Tozer, and whether I should go with this nail polish color or that one.  It's nice to know that everyone else's family is just as crazy as mine.  

So, to my "other family" in Missouri - I am blessed because of you.  And so very grateful.       

2 comments:

powellen said...

I miss you already. So grateful for your friendship. So good to see you in the flesh.

CDavis said...

It was so great to see you friend! It was such a sweet blessing.