Ahhh, Matt Wertz. So good to see you again, my friend.
My buddy Jill and I took a road trip down to Nashville (NashVegas to some) this past weekend to see Matt Wertz and Ben Rector in concert. The last time I saw Matt in concert was 4 years ago and the ticket cost $5 - and to be honest, I didn't know who Ben was until probably a month ago when we decided to actually make the trip happen.
It was at this little venue called Exit/In in the West End of Nashville, near Vanderbilt's campus. We spent Friday night and Saturday morning/early afternoon bumming around downtown Nashville, The Gulch, and then the West End. So many great little niches in the area. And after walking around Vandy's campus, I had fleeting thoughts of wondering why I didn't go to school there.
Our tickets said 8:00 start time. So, in my orderly little mind I took that to mean the show would actually begin at that time, with doors opening maybe an hour or so early. I should know better when it comes to such things. We walk up at 7:15 or so and there is already a line of people waiting. So we jump in line, thinking the doors will open soon. But no. The doors don't even open until 8, let alone have the show start. We finally get in, get settled up on the balcony, decent view. Eight-thirty rolls around. No Ben. Nine comes and goes. No Ben. Not even so much as someone walking on stage to check his guitar or something. Jill and I are checking our watches, thinking we are such grandmas because we are already yawning, thinking what a brutal morning it is going to be after being up so late and then having a 7-hour drive ahead of us. Nine-thirty - movement behind the curtain. It's Ben! Finally! He jams out to a few songs, and then the magic hour rolls around.
Matt makes it on stage at 10:30 and I think I broke out into the most absurd grin ever. I adore this guy and I love his music! He plays a great set and then about part-way through, he's talking about how he wrote this next song with a good buddy of his, Dave Barnes. Then Dave walks out! Could the night get any better?! I was done checking my watch at this point. We stuck around for the encore songs and walked into fresh air at 12:15 a.m. My body didn't know what to do at that hour.
Matt Wertz and Ben Rector - you were worth the 14-hour round-trip from Ohio, the long wait in line, the hotel bill, and everything in between.
But do you think you could make it to Columbus next time?

No comments:
Post a Comment