"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." - T.E. Lawrence
I'd say year 25 was all about crossing a few things off the bucket list and crossing off a few things that were never on the bucket list to begin with. I've been thinking a lot about what has happened in the last year, expected things, unexpected things, but always an adventure. It was all about being a dreamer of the day, acting on dreams with open eyes. This I did.
I've always had it on my bucket list to own a Great Dane. Well, that didn't happen but I did get to meet Tucker the Great Dane. That will have to suffice for now since I don't foresee owning 80 acres anytime soon to accommodate owning such an animal. My dad thinks I should just skip the Great Dane and buy a horse. It's the same thing to him.
And then I got to watch one of my very best friends marry the Future Husband she had written about for years and in the process I got to meet one of my favorite authors at her wedding. It was sweet to watch Erica throughout this process, seeing the crazy days, the good days, and the days when she would e-mail me in a panic about how to insert an anchor JPEG into her invitation. I always love being a part of people's weddings and this was the year for quite a few. I also got to see Steph get married, and numerous other friends have since gotten engaged. I celebrate with them in those moments.
I welcomed a new niece into the world, which wasn't so much on the bucket list (like I have control over that) as it was just a fitting moment in life. I sold some of my paintings (Thank you, Debbie S., for supporting the arts and my then-grocery budget). I read a grand total of 45 books since last October. That's not one of my life's aims, but I started keeping a log a year ago May of every book I have since read and I went over my list last night just to jog my memory on some of my favorites that I had read in the past year. I capped off year 25 by finishing up Susan Casey's The Wave, which was a fantastic read. I am now fascinated by all things surfing. I just have no desire to add to my list "surf the world's biggest wave." But maybe I'll add to the list "sit on the beach in Hawaii and watch someone else surf big waves."
In between, I finished my MBA. That was one of those things that wasn't on the list. I had no intention of ever going to grad school, but away we went. I got to laughing the other day because I pulled out my notebook where I write down the list of things I want to do in my lifetime. I had on there "graduate from high school" and "graduate from college." Check and check. Just didn't have on there anything about grad school. So that was a bonus for the year.
So, yeah, year 25 was pretty great. But I'm taking bets that year 26 will be better. God has shown him faithful in numerous ways, both big and small. And it's not to say that the best years are always sunshine and roses, for they are surely tempered with a few storms. But I don't ever want to be the kind of person that says the best years of my life are behind me. I think I'll tackle "own a hammock" and "spend a week or two on a dude ranch" for this year. And who knows what will be unexpectedly added to the list.
No comments:
Post a Comment