Pages

7.31.2010

And so it begins...

Well, I have arrived.  Literally.  After busting out of Columbus at 6 a.m. yesterday morning, I am now in Nairobi enjoying the view from my temporary home.  And let's just say right off the bat - PRAISE JESUS!  The craziest thing happened to me.  I got on a plane in Columbus that left on time.  I got on a plane in D.C. that left on time.  I got on a plane in Ethiopia that left on time.  And miracle of all miracles, both of my bags were waiting for me at the Nairobi airport.  Can you believe that?! With my awful flying history I thought for sure I was going to be late, miss connections and have to live out of my carry-on for the month.  But no, all those prayers that people had been praying about the flight were surely answered! Thank you!

But apart from all that - 1.) I realized how much it stinks flying by yourself just for the sheer fact that there is no one to turn and say, "Did you see what I think I saw?"  Take for instance, the woman sitting next to me on the plane ride from DC  to Ethiopia.  Older woman, maybe in her 70s, of African descent.  One of the first meals we were served was roast beef and some funky looking potatoes and squash, with a fabulous piece of cheesecake.  Now I could be wrong - I mean, we're up 35,000 feet and I'm medicated on Dramamine, but I'm pretty sure she put her cheesecake in with her roast beef.  No, I'm not joking.  I had to do a double-take, but I promise that's what she did.  At first I thought it was her bread, but no it was the cheesecake.  It's kind of hard to mistake the swirls on the topping.  But you know, to each her own I guess.  I will have to remember the phrase that everyone adopts while overseas, 'It's not good or bad, it's just different.'  Clearly.

And 2.) speaking of plane food, I'm just so grateful for bread and dessert because what's in between in usually questionable.  If all else goes wrong and you can't figure out what they put in front of you, just eat the bread and the chocolate dessert.  It's hard to mess those two things up so it's usually a safe bet.  My saving grace on these plane rides were those two things and the homemade chocolate chip oatmeal cookies that I hoped and prayed no security person would take from me for some reason.

3.)  I will never drive a car in Nairobi.  You only do that if you want to die and I don't  want to die.  So I'll let someone else do the driving.  I passed all sorts of wildlife on the road to the village - and by wildlife, I mean a lot of goats, with an occasional pig and a herd of cattle.  No lions yet.

4.)  This adventure is just beginning!  Stayed tuned for further stories from the world of Nairobi - and leave a comment and let me know who's reading!        


10 comments:

jill said...

Love your stories!! You are cracking me up! I hope you have a terrific day!!! :)
Jill

jill said...

Courtney! I love your stories! You are cracking me up!!!! I hope you have a terrific day!
Jill

Tasted&Seen said...

looking forward to hearing about your God Adventures!
praying for/excited for you
Jenna G. :D

Myrt said...

Good Morning, Courtney...or rather, good afternoon...it's teatime for you. The Brits are so smart to take time at 4 to refresh with tea and something sweet. How did they know it's my 'low sugar' time, too? Finished my journal of our National Parks tour and the photo album, so now I'm out of excuses for why I can't attact the weeds that grew so nicely while we were gone.
Was thrilled to read of your account of traveling on you great adventure...makes my life seem so ordinary, but that's okay, at 77 too much excitement isn't healthy!
Thank you for sharing. Anxious to read the next chapter.
Will make some ambrosia salad for the church picnic tomorrow evening...an Hawaiian affair...even a roast pig! Love the picnics and the chance to talk with folks at leisure.
Take care...and many blessings...
Myrt

Deb Love said...

Yay, God!!!! He is so awesome! Can't wait to hear more about this adventure! Love you!

Emily said...

Love it and love you, sweet friend! Praying each day that he would open the eyes of your heart to know and love him more on this adventure.
Love you!
Emily

"God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him." ~John Piper~

Unknown said...

Wow...what an adventure! Cheesecake & Roast Beef..not my food of choice. Don't let the animals eat your food or cookies!
Nathan

Unknown said...

Cheese cake and roast beef yummm! Glad to hear you got there safe. love Ya, Be safe Caroline

Nicki said...

This is so awesome, almost unreal for me to believe you are there so I'm sure it is even more so for you! I look forward to continue to read what crazy, intense, stellar things are in store for you! Praying for you!
Nicki

Jess said...

Jess here! I always read your blog diligently but I'm so excited to hear about your time in Africa. ESPECIALLY your first lion sighting! Take lots of pictures friend cause I might just take a trip to Ohio to visit you when you get back and you know how I love pictures! Praying all the time for God to grow your heart and above all (duh) glorify Himself. But He'll probably let you have some fun too so I'm praying for that as well :) :) Love ya!