I know, it sounds strange - when is a flat tire ever convenient? I managed to get one the other night somehow. I didn't notice it first, but when your car makes really obnoxious noises and starts leaning to one side, you probably have a flat tire. Go figure. So I ran down to the gas station just off campus (convenient) and I filled it with air. I had no idea where I was going to take it because I couldn't think of any tire places off the top of my head in the town so I decided to go ahead and go to work and hopefully figure something out eventually.
So I pull into the parking lot of work and I look up and literally look at the sign that says "Plaza Tire Center." (Convenient). So I run my car over there and have them look at it while I'm at work since I'm just up the street. (Convenient).
They say they fix it and all for only $15. Excellent. I drive to see a friend that night and while I'm driving back home again, it's clanking again and leaning to one side. Not cool. I manage to make it home (barely) without driving completely on the rim. I figured I couldn't do anything about it tonight so I just crawled into bed with a good book ("Hood" by Stephen Lawhead - excellent read so far) and forgot about it.
This morning I knew I had to tackle the problem. It was one of the few times in my life where I was sincerely sick of being alone, and by alone I meant single. But that's a different story. My boss - so grateful for her - told me I should just call campus safety and they can come put air in the tire, at least enough to get me to the tire place again. So the nice safety officer came with his portable compressor and put air in my tire and then I booked it down to the tire place to have them repair it again.
All that to say - despite a flat tire being a general pain in the rear, the little details have mattered. The safety officer who put air in my tire. My boss giving me some guidance on what to do next. My job being right across the street from the tire place. Not having to miss work because of all this. Living with in walking distance of both work and the tire place. Not driving home like I planned - because heaven knows I'd been in a big ol' heap if this had happened while I'm cruising along at 70 miles an hour on I-70.
So we'll get it fixed and move on with life, a potential major inconvenience being made a minor one at a convenient time. Thanks, God, for the little details that matter.
No comments:
Post a Comment